tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Davide Romanini <d.roman...@cineca.it>
Subject Re: Memory leaking on [un|re]load: WebappClassLoader isn't GC'ed
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:02:09 GMT
Il giorno mer, 25/01/2006 alle 15.34 +0000, Mike Fowler ha scritto:
> Good day,
>
> I have encountered a similar problem while deploying webapps. In my case
> I noticed that after the sixth deployment I would encounter
> OutOfMemoryError when I tried to use the application. After trawling the
> archives and running the tomcat jvm with the -XX:+PrintGCDetails option
> I discovered that I run out of PermSpace. Reading this posting
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=113532811904238&w=2 from
> Rodrigo Ruiz I discover that the memory leak is caused by static classes
> (aka Singletons) that are dotted all over support jars in my classpath.
> For me to solve my problem I would need to go on one hell of an
> anti-singleton crusade, and tempting as it, is I haven't the time.
> Perhaps this is the cause of your problems as well?
>
> Kind regards,

It's a known problem caused by a lot of different situations. It's sad
that a lot of important applications suffer of this problem. I'm working
with Axis, and just trying to reload the bundled webapp never release
the old WebappClassloader.

I think this is serious: hot deployment becomes totally useless and you
have to restart tomcat each time you deploy a new version :-(

Bye,
Davide Romanini