tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Tim Lucia" <timlu...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: problem with tomcat 5.5.9
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:11:55 GMT
I seem to recall that on RH, all files are mmap'd and that can occupy
seemingly huge amounts of memory, when in fact it is all buffer cache and
will be collected by the OS if actually needed for something else.  Could it
be logging in your app (or Tomcat) is writing a lot of data to files?

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: rajesh.gannarapu@wipro.com [mailto:rajesh.gannarapu@wipro.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:43 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: RE: problem with tomcat 5.5.9

Hi,

Small update on the problem mentioned....

We did not found any memory leak, but memory footprint is increasing.

We observed that tomcat's memory footprint (not the heap size) keeps
increasing if we run it for a long time under constant load. Initially it
was 305 MB, but after running it for 12 hours continuously, it increased to
1153 MB. We are running the server on Red Hat Linux AS 3.0.

Thanks in advance,
Rajesh Gannarapu

Yeah, profiler indicates the Tomcat Objects as memory leak.

> We observed that tomcat's memory footprint (not the heap size) keeps
> increasing if we run it for a long time under constant load. Initially
> it was 305 MB, but after running it for 12 hours continuously, it
> increased to 1153 MB. We are running the server on Red Hat Linux AS
3.0.

> We are using Tomcat version: 5.5.9 and we checked that the application
> is not the cause for memory leak (checked with Jprobe Profiler).

Did the profiler indicate any memory leak? If so where was it?

Mark

contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this
message and any attachments.

check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The
company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted
by this email.

www.wipro.com