tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Problem with default context when moving from 5.5.7 to 5.5.12
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 18:37:03 GMT
> From: Jason Burrows [mailto:jason.burrows@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Problem with default context when moving from
> 5.5.7 to 5.5.12
>
> I agree, but the best documentation I could find on this was:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html
>
> ...and there's nothing in that document that would lead me to try what
> you suggested, even reading now knowing that is the solution.

The documentation has not kept up with the implementation.  (Haven't yet
met a programmer that actually likes to write documentation.)  The key
piece of hard-to-find information is that the default web app must be
specified with the context name (not path) ROOT.

> then says "context elements for the default context must go in
> your server.xml file"

I can't find any place that says that.  What it does say is "In
addition, you MUST define a Context with a context path equal to a
zero-length string."  Since zero-length filenames are a bit tricky, the
current mechanism uses the name ROOT to create a zero-length context
path.

> Where are you getting documentation that more accurately explains
> the context setup, and led you to the solution you provided?

Reading this mailing list carefully, experimenting, and not sleeping
much.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.