tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Babu Subburathinam <>
Subject Clarification needed on tomcat 5.5 setup
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:19:52 GMT

I have installed tomcat 5.5 with the windows binary
installer. Prior to commencing the installation, I
installed J2SE RE 1.5 and pointed by JAVA_HOME to the
installation location. When I installed tomcat, it
went through fine and the server started as a service.
No issues with this.

Next, I uninstalled the tomcat installation described
above. Then I downloaded the zip variant of the same
tomcat 5.5 version. Unzipped it and executed the
startup script. But it reports a "Windows cannot find
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try
again. To search for a fileā€¦.".

Went though the release notes and RUNNING.txt. Both
indicate the setup procedure for the binary
installation only on windows. In fact the setup procedure (as at
for unix explicitly indicates 'Before running the
script, the JAVA_HOME environment variable should be
set to the base path of the JDK.'. Does this mean that
the JDK is not required only for the windows binary
installation? I think it may not be so. And that I may
be doing something silly. Any pointer on how to get tomcat running
with only the JRE using the zipped varient will
greatly help.