tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Babu Subburathinam <babu.subburathi...@gmail.com>
Subject Clarification needed on tomcat 5.5 setup
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:19:52 GMT
Hi,

I have installed tomcat 5.5 with the windows binary
installer. Prior to commencing the installation, I
installed J2SE RE 1.5 and pointed by JAVA_HOME to the
installation location. When I installed tomcat, it
went through fine and the server started as a service.
No issues with this.

Next, I uninstalled the tomcat installation described
above. Then I downloaded the zip variant of the same
tomcat 5.5 version. Unzipped it and executed the
startup script. But it reports a "Windows cannot find
'-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderManager'.
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try
again. To search for a fileā€¦.".

Went though the release notes and RUNNING.txt. Both
indicate the setup procedure for the binary
installation only on windows. In fact the setup procedure (as at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html)
for unix explicitly indicates 'Before running the
script, the JAVA_HOME environment variable should be
set to the base path of the JDK.'. Does this mean that
the JDK is not required only for the windows binary
installation? I think it may not be so. And that I may
be doing something silly. Any pointer on how to get tomcat running
with only the JRE using the zipped varient will
greatly help.

Thanks,
Babu