tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Poley" <j...@jpoley.com>
Subject Question concerning java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/ServletContext
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:18:26 GMT
Please forgive my intrusion if this is not the proper place to post a questoon of this sort.
 I am new to servlets, and am working on my first deployment- but I am running in to a problem
that I can't find a solution to.  I have installed Tomcat 5.5 and am using Eclipse (as well
as a tomcat plugin) to manage my project.   A colleague of mine sent me a war file of out
working projected, which I imported to my IDE.  I start tomcat, which seems to load properly,
and attempt to run the project on the server- where I am faced with the following:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet RequestTranslator threw exception

root cause

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/ServletContext
	java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
	java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Unknown Source)
	java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Unknown Source)
	java.lang.Class.getConstructor(Unknown Source)
	freemarker.template.Configuration.setServletContextForTemplateLoading(Configuration.java:331)
	verkoopen.boundary.UserInterfaceOutput.<init>(UserInterfaceOutput.java:31)
	verkoopen.boundary.RequestTranslator.init(RequestTranslator.java:25)
	org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:868)
	org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:663)
	org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
	org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
	java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
I am using the most recent J2RE 5 and I am certain that Tomcat's servlet-api.jar is within
my application's class path.  I am not sure why the source cannot be found.  Any helpin locating
my problem would be greatly appreciated, and I would be happy to prove more information if
needed (I'm not entirely sure what would be helpful).  And again, I am sorry if this is not
the place for this kind of question!Happy coding!John