tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Poley" <j...@jpoley.com>
Subject Re: Question concerning java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/ServletContext
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 03:04:49 GMT
Thank you for your comments thus far.
I have been unable to solve my problem as well.  I even went so far as to
start with a machine with no development tools on it, downloading just the
elements I required, and then trying to redeploy.  I am fairly certain that
there are no extra servlet jars anywhere, and that servlet-api.jar from
tomcat is in the path. Still I face the java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
javax/servlet/ServletContext error.  I am using java 1.5.0_06 and and a 5.5
server.  Well, trying to anyway! =)   I'll place the error information at
the very bottom of this email to avoid pushing down the previous responses
too far.   Any more ideas would be appreciated!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Armand Rock" <rocka@gilmore.ca>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 12:44 PM
Subject: RE: Question concerning java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
javax/servlet/ServletContext

> Hello David,
> I included all jar & zip files on my computer, including j2ee.jar and I'm
> still having the problem.
> I have just noticed a weird behaviour though, if I try to reload the jsp
> right after the jsp fails the first
> time it seems to run without throwing the exception.  If I restart Tomcat
> and try again the problem starts
> again.  I could get this to work in theory by forcing it to run through
> the
> code once on startup
> but I shouldn't have to do that and I honestly would prefer getting it to
> work as it should.

>>> java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Unknown Source)
>>> java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Unknown Source)
>>> java.lang.Class.getConstructor(Unknown Source)
>>>

>>freemarker.template.Configuration.setServletContextForTemplateLoading(Confi
>>uration.java:331)
>>

>>verkoopen.boundary.UserInterfaceOutput.<init>(UserInterfaceOutput.java:31)
>>

>>> verkoopen.boundary.RequestTranslator.init(RequestTranslator.java:25)
>>>

>>org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:10
> 5
>>)
>>

>>org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
>>

>>org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:868)
>>

>>org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process
>>onnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:663)
>>

>>org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.ja
>>a:527)
>>

>>org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerW
>>rkerThread.java:80)
>>

>>org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.ja
>>a:684)
>>

>>> java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
>>>I am using the most recent J2RE 5 and I am certain that Tomcat's
>>>

>>servlet-api.jar is within my application's class path.  I am not sure why
>>the source cannot be found.  Any helpin locating my problem would be
> greatly
>>appreciated, and I would be happy to prove more information if needed (I'm
>>not entirely sure what would be helpful).  And again, I am sorry if this
>>is
>>not the place for this kind of question!Happy coding!John

INFO: Server startup in 1891 ms

Dec 6, 2005 9:59:25 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/ServletContext

at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:2328)

at java.lang.Class.getConstructor(Class.java:1629)

at
freemarker.template.Configuration.setServletContextForTemplateLoading(Configuration.java:331)

at
verkoopen.boundary.UserInterfaceOutput.<init>(UserInterfaceOutput.java:31)

at verkoopen.boundary.RequestTranslator.init(RequestTranslator.java:25)

at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1105)

at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.allocate(StandardWrapper.java:757)

at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:130)

at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)

at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)

at

at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)

at

at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)

at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:667)

at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)

at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)

at

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Dec 6, 2005 9:59:25 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke

SEVERE: Allocate exception for servlet RequestTranslator