tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bob Bateman" <bobbate...@sequoiallc.com>
Subject Re: Can a "return" statement cause a problem?
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:46:07 GMT
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:14:19 -0800 (PST)
  Dola Woolfe <dolachin@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In one of my JSP pages (ErrorPage.jsp) I have the
> following code.
>
> <%
> if (display-nothing-only-forward) {
>  out.println("<META to forward to another page in 0
> seconds>");
>  // return;
> }
>
> //Lot's more code
> %>
>
> It works, but prints out unnecessary html before it
> forwards. But if I uncomment "return" it stops
> working. I get
> HTTP 500 - Internal server error
>
> What could that be? In the tomcat console window, I
> get no indication that something is not right.

I would postulate that you are executing unnecessary code.

*Disclaimer: The following is NOT compliant with MVC best
practices...

In your JSP page, you *probably* want your "if
(display-nothing-only-forward)" statement to execute if
there is nothing to do.  If that is true, then after your
closing brace with the META info in it, you probably want
to use an 'else' clause and enclose the rest of your code
in a set of braces.

In effect, what you've done is to tell the system to put
the META statement out ONLY when there is nothing else to
do - but the rest of your code runs all the time.

If you have sufficient experience, I would suggest
removing all of the java code from your JSP page and
putting the code into a Tag.  Tags are really easy to use
and keep your business logic seperate from your JSP
presentation.  Of course, you'll still have to generate
HTML in the Tag, but that's partly what tags are for.

Bob