tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Joe Reger, Jr." <reg...@gmail.com>
Subject OT: Java database schema managers?
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:28:11 GMT
A bit off-topic but I haven't found a good answer elsewhere.

Problem: Single Tomcat/Java/MySql app deployed to many
companies/users.  As users upgrade the app we need to change their
database schema (update tables, add columns, delete columns, etc).

Current solution:  We have a homegrown infrastructure of simple java
classes that manunally make database updates.  I.e. we send "ALTER
table..." commands.

Problem with current solution: Database-dependent.  Seems like this is
a common problem and there would be open source projects to handle it.
 We've seen Hibernate's schema management features and are impressed
but we can't move to Hibernate completely right now.

Any other ideas?

Thanks and sorry for the off-topic.

Joe