tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: tomcat - OutOfMemoryError
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 10:55:59 GMT
> > From: Anna Seekamp [mailto:anna.seekamp@googlemail.com]
> > The jvm (1.4.2 Suse-Linux) starts with:
> >  -server -Xmx1500m -Xms1500ms
> >
> > We have 9 webapps.
> > One webapp has 50% load.
> > The other share the rest.
> > If we put 7 webapps online, we
> > ran into problems. After a few hours we get OutOfMemoryErrors. The
> > tomcat crashes an we get no response. But there isn't a
> heavy load (<
> > 1). There isn't OutOfMemory (the last Runtime.freeMemory():
> 1,3 GB) The
> > Thread-Dump of the crashed server is unspecific. Most threads are
> > waiting on findBundle in CoyoteConnector.createRequest().
> >
> > Are there any suggestions. Everything is welcome!
> > I don't know where to look. Threads, Sockets, Memory (is
> there a problem
> > with Runtime.freeMemory)

1. Check the PermGen usage - are you slowly loading more classes in
until the default (64M I think) PermGen is exhausted?
Runtime.freeMemory doesn't take into account the separation between
PermGen and the other generations.

2. Java has a distressing habit of throwing out of memory errors when it
runs out of any resources, including file descriptors or sockets.
You'll have one heck of a log file to analyse, but as a last ditch
effort I'd try running a system call tracer on the process and look for
failed calls.

However, I'm a novice in these areas.  I've no doubt you'll get better
advice from those more experienced with large production apps.

		- Peter