tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: maintain separate sessions for each browser tab/window
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:14:33 GMT
From: John Cartwright [mailto:John.C.Cartwright@noaa.gov]
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to maintain a separate session for
each browser tab and window?  Currently the same session is shared for
each frame, window, tab of a given brower instance and context.

I only wish this were possible - it would make life a lot easier for a number of the apps
I work on.  Unfortunately, it's not.  Cookie state is maintained client-side, as is window
state.  On current browsers (and in the spec), all windows to the same site share the same
cookie state, so using cookies is out.  If it were possible to detect opening a new window
using Javascript in a portable way, you might be able to do something there using an extra
GET parameter to indicate a newly-opened window; but, to my knowledge, it isn't possible to
do this in a way that is either portable* or works with all combinations of back and forward
buttons plus new window opens at arbitrary points.

          - Peter

* Non-portable solutions include browser plug-ins for IE and Netscape-derived browsers; these
*can* spot new windows as they open and *can* cause the DOM in those windows to be amended.
 May not get you very far with Lynx, though...