tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Aaron Bortman" <bacon_ea...@hotmail.com>
Subject Starting the apache tomcat 4.05 servlet engine on windows xp
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:27:07 GMT
Hello,

In my job I recently have been assigned to work with Cocoon.  In order to be
able to use cocoon I need to be able to deploy it on a servlet engine.   The
book I am reading to learn Cocoon has chosen tomcat 4.0.5 as the servlet
engine to use.  I am having a problem getting tomcat to start.  Any help
that could be given would be much appreciated.  So far I have:

1) Installed the java sdk 1.4.1_07 and set the environment variable
JAVA_HOME to its location
2) Copied the jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5-src.zip to a file on my computer (running
Windows XP professional)
3) Extracted the zip file
4) Brought up a command prompt and set the environment variable
CATALINA_HOME like this:
set CATALINA_HOME=C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5-src\catalina\src
5) Navigated to the CATALINA_HOME directory and run the startup script.
6) When I run the script I get the following echoed to the screen.
Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5-src\catalina\src
Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5-src\catalina\src
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.5-src\catalina\src\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       c:\tools\j2sdk1.4.1_07
7) I have been unable to get the welcome page to display when I point a
browser at http://localhost:8080.

I have looked at the FAQ's and tried changing the port 8080 to something
else, but that did not fix my problem.  I also have checked and am not
behind a proxy.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have been
searching the help pages for Apache and other sites with little luck.  If
you could help me look in the right place I would be greatful.

Thanks for your time,

Aaron