tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <>
Subject RE: Servlets (total beginner)
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:26:34 GMT
Have you added the <servlet> and <servlet-mapping> elements to your
web.xml file for this servlet?

-----Original Message-----
From: Milan Tomic []
Sent: 22 November 2005 17:18
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: Servlets (total beginner)

I have compiled my first servlet and copied it into
apache-tomcat-5.5.12\webapps\servlets-examples\WEB-INF\classes but when
I navigate my browser to
or http://localhost:8080/servlets-examples/servlet/DemoServlet I got an
404 error message. Other servlets from Tomcat examples (same folder)
works just fine. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to edit web.xml in
order to inform Tomcat that I have deployed new servlet? While testing
JSPs I didn't had to do this for new JSP page. Btw, is there a good
tutorial (or tool) about configuring web.xml file?

QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474
its interests and its reputation.