tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Log4j issues upgrading from 5.5.9 to 5.5.12
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:50:04 GMT
Hi

Yes, I've had a similar problem in that with 5.5.12 various
framework-related APIs such Spring and OSCache which *were* configured
using a WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties config in 5.5.9 and less no
longer logged.

I kind of linked the problem to the fact that these APIs had related
ContextListeners in action, and so the logging configuration needed to
be available at the time the webapp was started by Tomcat.

To fix it, I had to create a separate log4j.properties in common/classes
like yourself which is not ideal from my POV.

I reported this to the list and to BugZilla, but it was dismissed as
being my imagination by Remy.

Cheers, Allistair

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick [mailto:tomcatdev@vidyah.com]
Sent: 14 November 2005 15:36
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: Log4j issues upgrading from 5.5.9 to 5.5.12

REPOST: Just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue.

After upgrading from 5.5.9 to 5.5.12, all the same log4j.properties
files, I now have some web-app level classes that I can not catch in my
web-app log4j logger.  I ended up having to put loggers in my
common/classes/log4j.properties file to deal with them.
Again, this worked normally in 5.5.9 with the same configuration.

One example, handling OSCache log entries..
log4j.logger.org.jgroups=INFO, CACHE
log4j.logger.com.opensymphony=WARN, CACHE

log4j.appender.CACHE=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.CACHE.File=${catalina.home}/logs/cache.log
The Jars for JGroups and OSCache are both in my web-app's lib folder,
not in common/lib.
But I'm forced to create loggers in common/lib to catch the log entries.
My webapp level loggers do not see any log entries from the above
mentioned classes.

Anyone else have a similar issue and find a fix?

Thanks,
Rick

QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055