tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mike Sabroff <mike.sabr...@cygnusb2b.com>
Subject Re: Java databases as alternative to MySQL on OS X Server? (OT)
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:33:44 GMT
Cloudscape, now owned by IBM is a good choice. It can be run as a
Standalone server or as an imbedded db running within the JVM with your
code. I haven't used it lately, but developed some stuff a few years ago
when Sun use to ship it with the J2EE package.

Richard Schilling wrote:

> You might try a Java Data Objects implementation:
>
> www.objectdb.com
> java.sun.com/products/jdo/index.jsp
>

> These are pure object databases, and are reasonably fast.  The Sun's
> reference implementation of JDO is not intended for production use but
> it's great as a development toolkit.
>
> Richard Schilling
>
> Mieke Banderas wrote:
>
>> Given the sad, sad performance findings at:
>> "No More Apple Mysteries, Part Two"
>> Date: September 1st, 2005
>> <http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2520>
>>
>> are there any javabased DB alternatives, that may perform better than
>> MySQL (or PostgreSQL for that matter)? I prefer free, open sourced
>> DBs or
>> otherwise with a license that could fit a small business/non profit
>> organisation.
>>
>> I don't enough of JVMs to know if Javabased DBs are usually better
>> performancewise than MySQL/PostgreSQL, but my thought was that if
>> everything is kept within the JVM, the weak performance spots in OS X
>> would be minimized as threads would be handled within JVM rather than
>> within OS X. Threads being being the prime suspect in the weak MySQL
>> performance in OS X according Anandtech.
>>
>> Do you have any thought and/or suggestions on this issue? Experiences
>> you
>> could share?
>> My server runs Mac OS X Server 10.2.6 with Java 1.4.1/1.3.1. I can't use
>> Java 1.5 just yet.

Mike Sabroff
Web Services Developer
mike.sabroff@cygnusb2b.com