tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kristian Rink <>
Subject css and images (stupid question?)
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:27:39 GMT

Hi all;

playing around with tomcat in order to both learn using the package and
create a small web site there, I'm currently left with a problem which,
though probably being small (and not really related to tomcat), keeps
bugging me:

I'm trying to do the visual stuff of my jsp using a css style file,
which is good, so far. Within the css file, I'm using images for
backgrounds etc like that:

background: #fff url(/images/bg_header_blau.jpg) no-repeat top left;

My problem, right now, is where to put the images within the web
application so they're actually found when displaying the page.
Initially, I created a folder "images" within my web application and
referred to the images using url(images/...) with relative path names,
which didn't work. Also tried to place the images folder inside
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps and then using absolute image urls (/image/...),
which also didn't work.

So, where's the magic? I've always been through some tougher moments
with css and images while dynamically generating content, but right now
I feel really helpless about that. Can someone enlighten me?

Cheers and thanks,

- --
Kristian Rink * * jab:
icq: 48874445 *  fon: ++49 176 2447 2771

"Be yourself the kind of change you want to see in this world." (Gandhi)
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: