tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: help with locale or language.
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:28:25 GMT
Chances are you are reading the data from the database in one encoding
  and trying to write it to the JSP in another. However, right now you
are trying to do too much at once. Step back from the problem and do
some step by step debugging.

Start by seeing if you can write a simple JSP (no database code) to
display some latin characters. If this doesn't work, fix this before
trying to read data from your database.

Once you can output characters from your JSP, create a record in your
database that has a single latin character, eg ñ, in one of the
fields. In your JSP read this into a String and then output the bytes
of that String in your JSP so you can see exactly what bytes you are
getting back from your database.

Post what byte/bytes you see for ñ.

Mark