tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <>
Subject Re: New Tomcat install problem
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:49:19 GMT
Terry Allen wrote:

>> Anything in the logs for this new setup?
>> Nix.
> Hi again,
>     Okay, I've included the last log entries from a few logs as listed
> below - the other logs in that directory contain only information
> about startup notification etc...  apologies if this is not the right
> way to post these:

I'll tell what it looks like to me.

> localhost.2005-11-21.log - :
> Nov 21, 2005 7:31:40 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve
> invoke
> SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet default threw exception
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse.setBufferSize(I)V

This states that somebody is expecting interface "HttpServletResponse"
to have that method, but the definition of that interface, loaded by the
JVM does not have it. Looks like a mismatch between Servlet-API JARs of
Tomcat and the code that was compiled to run in your web application.
Since you are running TC 5.5.9 it makes the error rather mysterious. If
your server platform is Linux, it could be that you have some old
version of Servlet API JAR somewhere on the class path, poisoning your
setup. I'm not sure how that's possible, but it is what I'd look for.

> SEVERE: An exception or error occurred in the container during the
> request processing
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: javax.servlet.ServletResponse.isCommitted()Z

Again some mismatch in definitions.

> SEVERE: Allocate exception for servlet HTMLManager
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> javax.servlet.ServletConfig.getServletName()Ljava/lang/String;

And again.

I'm not sure what is going on, but look for old JARs poisoning your setup.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message