tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: advice on auto logout servlet
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:38:18 GMT
You can do this strictly client-side, if requiring Javascript isn't a
problem (which of course an AJAX-based solution does anyway).  Just
start a timer from the onLoad event on each page.  When 20 minutes has
elapsed, you can either pop an alert which is followed by a redirect to
some appropriate page, or just do the redirect straight away, whatever
you prefer.

The down-side is that a user could disable Javascript after the timer
has begun but before the timeout occurs.  But, of course the session
will still expire on the server, so it's probably not a big problem.
And you'll need to keep your session timeout and client-side timeout
values in sync, but that's pretty minor.

Frank

Jon Wingfield wrote:
> I did an AJAX version of this a couple of months ago.
> The slight gotcha is that the AJAX request prolongs the life of the
> session (you can't, it seems, override the cookie for AJAX requests) so
> the interval has to be slightly longer than the expiry time for the
> session.
>
> Reynir Hubner wrote:

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect