tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: http response 304 with content
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:49:11 GMT
Axel Bartsch wrote:
> I am testing with Apache 2.0.49 and tomcat 5.0.28
> In my Ethereal Trace (Ethereal running on browser PC) (Tracer:browser client to server)
I sometimes see HTTP/1.1 responses 304 (Not Modified).
> A message body (content>0) is included in this response.
> According to HTTP protocol a 304 response MUST NOT contain any content:
> from HTTP/1.1 protocol (RFC 2616):
> If the client has performed a conditional GET request and access is allowed, but the
document has not been modified, the server SHOULD respond with this status code. The 304 response
MUST NOT contain a message-body, and thus is always terminated by the first empty line after
the header fields.
> Why does this happen?

This is a known issue. See

To unsubscribe, e-mail: