tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Benjamin Slade <...@benslade.com>
Subject Pointers on setting up Tomcat 5.5x w/MySQL on OS X?
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 04:14:03 GMT
Can someone point me to some resources for setting up Tomcat so that
servlets/JSP's can connect to a local MySQL database?

The instructions for configuring Connector/J (at
dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/cj-tomcat-config.html ) don't seem to
match the setup of my tomcat/conf/server.xml file.    Specifically, the
Connector/J web page talks about adding:

<Resource name="jdbc/MySQLDB"
               auth="Container"
               type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

Inside the <Context> tag of the conf/server.xml file, but there is no
<Context> tag in my conf/server.xml.   Should I add one?  Or should I
add these XML tags to the tomcat/conf/context.xml?   Where can I find
documentation on the structure of the server.xml and context.xml
files?   The Apache Tomcat Configuration Reference web page doesn't have
much and neither does the Database question in the Tomcat FAQ.  I've
searched the tomcat.apache.org archives, but I haven't found anything
which talks directly about this (maybe I'm just not using the right
search terms)

The Apache Tomcat Configuration Reference: The Context Container web
page (tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html ) seems to
have lots of information, but it seems like a lot of reference detail.
I just need a database "Hello World" example.

I'm a newbie so I'm not familiar with the structure/semantics of the
server.xml and context.xml files.   Also, I haven't gotten around to
learning how JNDI works.   I was sort of hoping to do a "Hello World"
database JSP before delving into all of the system guts.  But if I have
to, where can I find reference documentation for the various config
files for Tomcat?

Thanks
Ben Slade