tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paul Singleton <p...@jbgb.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.0 : howto make a webapp the ROOT webapp the proper way
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:30:56 GMT
Francis Galiegue wrote:

> <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="external-webapps" autoDeploy="false"
>  deployXML="false" deployOnStartup="true" unpackWARs="true"
> xmlValidation="false"
>  xmlNamespaceAware="false">
> [...]
>   <Context docBase="/var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/one2team" path="" id="o2t">
>     <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
> prefix="access-kitu-"
>      suffix=".log" pattern="common"/>
>     <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
> prefix="kitu-" suffix=".log"
>      verbosity="2" timestamp="true"/>
>   </Context>
> </Host>

> But then this is flawed:
> * The external-webapps directory does not exist, and tomcat doesn't
> seem to complain. However, future versions may.

Indeed.  I recommend setting appBase to a real, empty directory.
It seems a bit odd having to maintain an empty dir as part of
the configuration, but you can do it if you try :-)  You may want
to put a README in there, saying "do not interfere"...

> What's more, if this
> directory is created and a webapp exists in there we get to the same
> problem...

If webapps just magically come into existence on your server then
it needs stricter administration :-)

> * I'm no expert at all with Tomcat but this just looks like there's a
> far more simple, elegant way...

(before you're an expert you'll stop expecting this ;-)

e.g. an attribute to retain deployment on startup from explicit
contexts while suppressing implicit deployment from the appBase?

Paul Singleton