tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Darryl L. Miles" <dar...@netbauds.net>
Subject Re: Can a "return" statement cause a problem?
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2005 13:16:14 GMT

Dola Woolfe wrote:

>In one of my JSP pages (ErrorPage.jsp) I have the
>following code.
>
><%
>if (display-nothing-only-forward) {
>  out.println("<META to forward to another page in 0
>seconds>");
>  // return;
>}
>
>//Lot's more code
>%>
>
>It works, but prints out unnecessary html before it
>forwards. But if I uncomment "return" it stops
>working. I get
>HTTP 500 - Internal server error
>
>What could that be? In the tomcat console window, I
>get no indication that something is not right.

First you still should be presenting a well formed HTML page to the
browser.  I think I'm correcting in stating that <META ...> should
exiting inside <HEAD>, but you still should emit
</HEAD><BODY></BODY></HTML>.

Second are you sure you want to do your HTTP redirect like this ?
Conceptually by the time you are rendering a JSP page your that Servlet
has made a decision that this JSP page (and therefore this View) is the
correct one the user should see.  I am presuming that you might not have
any customer Servlet infront of this JSP page and are using the
defaultServlet to get there.  Maybe its worth you creating a Servlet and
moving the Java Code logic into that.  Then doing a "forward" to the JSP
page you wish to render, or setup a HTTP redirect to force the browser
to goto another URL.

My thoughts.

I'm not sure if return is right or wrong here from a specification
standpoint.

--
Darryl L. Miles