tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kurt Overberg <k...@hotdogrecords.com>
Subject How to deploy when JSPs need to change regularly?
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:19:59 GMT
Hello All, I'm currently running mid-sized website (load balanced across
five servers).  Its a fairly large web application with a front and a
back-end.  In production, the application is sitting exploded in a
directory which tomcats point at.  It looks rather like a development
sandbox.  I do this because our web people need to modify the content
(JSPs) of the website on a fairly regular basis.  Right now, they can
just "cvs update" the webapp directory and things work great.

However, this is a bit of a deployment nightmare.  Everytime I need to
push out a new version of the core servlets, I have to manually update
each and every sandbox on each server.  I would MUCH rather use a .war
file to deploy to each server and let tomcat deal with things (since the
website is really starting to grow).  Is there any way to deploy a .war
file and then let people modify the JSPs in it?  Complicating things is
that we use CVS for everything, and new JSPs make their way to the site
via a cvs update.

Right now, it seems like everytime someone changed a JSP, I'd have to
re-deploy the entire thing, when really its just a few JSPs that have
changed.  The web guys update the site an average of 10-20 times per day.

Any suggestions?  Seems like this would be a pretty common problem, but
I've found nothing on google, et al.  Do I have to move to some sort of
content management system, where the servlets and JSPs remain static and
the data comes from a DB?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

/kurt