tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dobson Paul L Contr 84 MSUG/GBMLBR <Paul.Dob...@HILL.af.mil>
Subject RE: Client Authentication
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:45:12 GMT

Thanks for the additional insight into client authentication.

The smart card and IE are set up correctly to prompt for a valid
certificate.  I know this because that is how it works when I visit other
web sites on our network that has client authentication implimented.  I have
a feeling the problem I am having has something to do with Tomcat not
knowing what to validate clients against.

Does Tomcat use the value in the keystoreFile property to determine what
certificates to validate client against?  If so, what entries should be in
the keystore? If not how do I let tomcat know that CA to validate against?

Below is the applicable part of my server.xml

<Connector acceptCount="100"
	clientAuth="true"
	debug="9"
	disableUploadTimeout="true"
	enableLookups="true"
	keystoreFile="C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 5.0\SSL\keystore"
maxProcessors="75"
	port="8443"
	scheme="https"
	secure="true"
	sslProtocol="TLS">
</Connector>

Here is the content of the keystore being used for SSL from running keytool
-list.  Please let me know if something doesn't look right.
tomcat, Nov 4, 2005, keyEntry,
Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
FE:5A:8B:C9:95:72:85:2D:46:52:86:90:7A:98:B1:E2
mykey, Nov 28, 2005, trustedCertEntry,
Certificate fingerprint (MD5):
C9:0F:75:AA:61:F0:B2:8B:73:A9:2F:40:57:48:15:C1

mykey is what I want to validate clients against.

I guess what I am looking for are confiuration steps that I may have missed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul Dobson