tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <wap...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Solved JSVC Daemon Permissions
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Well ... now I know why no one responded to this one . . .  While my init.d  script was changing
ownership of tomcat's  directories and files to user "tomcat", it wasn't handling file permissions.
 Very simple fix was to run chmod recursively on the directory setting the permissions properly
and now everything works as expected.

> From: <wapace@bellsouth.net>
> Date: 2005/11/13 Sun AM 10:42:00 EST
> To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
> Subject: JSVC Daemon Permissions
>
> OS: Open SuSE 10.0
> Tomcat Version:  Tomcat 5.5.12
> I've successfully compiled JSVC, written my init script and am able to launch Tomcat
at system startup.  I'm a total newbie to both Linux and Tomcat and had been working through
a Tomcat tutorial.  One exercise in the tutorial covered file upload (something my finished
app will require).  Previously I had been launching Tomcat as Root using startup.sh.  The
file upload exercise works as expected - shows the directory listing and allows the user to
upload files as long as I start Tomcat as Root.  Running as user "tomcat" under jsvc shows
the directory but no files and will not allow the user to upload.  I know this is a permissions
problem with user tomcat but don't know where to fix it.  Once in production, I cannot run
Tomcat as Root.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.