tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mieke Banderas" <>
Subject Java databases as alternative to MySQL on OS X Server? (OT)
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:59:15 GMT

Given the sad, sad performance findings at:
"No More Apple Mysteries, Part Two"
Date: September 1st, 2005

are there any javabased DB alternatives, that may perform better than
MySQL (or PostgreSQL for that matter)? I prefer free, open sourced DBs or
otherwise with a license that could fit a small business/non profit

I don't enough of JVMs to know if Javabased DBs are usually better
performancewise than MySQL/PostgreSQL, but my thought was that if
everything is kept within the JVM, the weak performance spots in OS X
would be minimized as threads would be handled within JVM rather than
within OS X. Threads being being the prime suspect in the weak MySQL
performance in OS X according Anandtech.

Do you have any thought and/or suggestions on this issue? Experiences you
could share?
My server runs Mac OS X Server 10.2.6 with Java 1.4.1/1.3.1. I can't use
Java 1.5 just yet.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message