tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Axel Bartsch <hallyday1...@yahoo.de>
Subject http response 304 with content
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:54:18 GMT
I am testing with Apache 2.0.49 and tomcat 5.0.28

In my Ethereal Trace (Ethereal running on browser PC) (Tracer:browser client to server) I
sometimes see HTTP/1.1 responses 304 (Not Modified).
A message body (content>0) is included in this response.

According to HTTP protocol a 304 response MUST NOT contain any content:

from HTTP/1.1 protocol (RFC 2616):
If the client has performed a conditional GET request and access is allowed, but the document
has not been modified, the server SHOULD respond with this status code. The 304 response MUST
NOT contain a message-body, and thus is always terminated by the first empty line after the
header fields.

Why does this happen?

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB kostenlosem Speicher