tomcat-users mailing list archives

From andy gordon <efha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: tomcat 5.5 logging
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 02:25:42 GMT
Placing the jars in the common/lib directory makes them available for all web apps and catalina
itself. Placing log4j properties in the common/classes lib defines log4j behavior for all
web apps (cross context). Placing log4j properties in web-inf/classes overrides cross context
log4j properties for a specific web app.

What is the purpose of the commons-logging.properties file ?  There is no requirement for
this file according to the 5.5 doc.

hope this helps.

- andy
pc leung <lightplace@gmail.com> wrote:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html
The above page shows that logging-log4j.jar and commong-logging.jar
needs to put in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.
If I have two files of jar already in my struts webapp lib,
Why do I still need to place them in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib?
In addition, the tomcat doc web page shows the log4j.properties only,
is the common-logging.properties not necessary?
Thanks