tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Akoulov, Alexandre [IT]" <alexandre.akou...@citigroup.com>
Subject RE: "path" attribute for "Context" element in tomcat 5.5
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:50:31 GMT
I'd greatly appreciate if you could give me the feedback on the following email:

-----Original Message-----
From: Akoulov, Alexandre [IT]
Sent: Wednesday, 23 November 2005 12:16 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: "path" attribute for "Context" element in tomcat 5.5

Hi all,

I am in the process of upgrading from tomcat-3.3 to tomcat-5.5.12.

One of the changes in tomcat 5.5 is the configuration of contexts (ie web apps) is now being
done in individual files (with a ".xml" extension) in the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/
directory ( rather than in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml, which is a tomcat-3.3 way).

To test this new configuration I've created the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/test.xml
with the following content:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

<Context 	path="/testProjYY"
		docBase="/home/alex/release/TestProj/war"
		reloadable="true" crossContext="true" allowLinking="true" >

      	directory="/home/alex/release/tomcat-5.5/logs"
		prefix="localhost_log_TestProj." suffix=".txt"
           	timestamp="true"/>
</Context>

As you can see the 'path' attribute is '/testProjYY' and in order to access this app I tried
to hit http://sydap42d.aus.nsroot.net:8080/testProjYY/TestServlet url and .... I got 404 (The
requested resource (/testProjYY/TestServlet) is not available.) error.

So I went to Context element description (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html)
and found the following : "path... The context path of this web application...The value of
this field must not be set except when statically defining a Context in server.xml, as it
will be infered from the filenames used for either the .xml context file or the docBase."
Last sentence indicates that the 'path' attribute value is ignored, unless Context element
is defined in server.xml (which is not encouraged in tomcat-5.5), and .xml file name is used
as a context path instead.

Therefore I've modified $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/test.xml (got rid of the 'path'
tag):

<Context docBase="/home/alex/release/TestProj/war"
		reloadable="true" crossContext="true" allowLinking="true" >

      	directory="/home/alex/release/tomcat-5.5/logs"
		prefix="localhost_log_TestProj." suffix=".txt"
           	timestamp="true"/>
</Context>

Then I hit http://sydap42d.aus.nsroot.net:8080/test/TestServlet (/test context path is derived
from $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/test.xml filename) and got the html generated
by TestServlet.

Is it a right way to configure a context ? It just seems a bit strange that the 'path' attribute
is completely ignored and instead the filename is used as a context path.

Thanks a lot for your time and assistance on this matter.

Kind regards,

Alex.