tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Scott Purcell" <purce...@charter.net>
Subject Re: SSL Certificate Beginner Question
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 03:46:02 GMT
Real helpful ... I searched on SRV.12 and it brought up a bunch of links
that have nothing to do with Tomcat  config of SSL.

I probably posted a lame request. Let me try again.

I have purchased a certificate via Verisign, and I have installed the
certificate into a keystore. I am running Windows XP and Tomcat 5.5.12.
I put the keystore and Cert.cer in the Tomcat/bin directory for organiation.
I read that the default is usually in the home directory where tomcat is
installed on Unix. But that is another OS.

I followed the docs here under Tomcat 5 SSL and ran across this:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/ssl-howto.html

The final step is to configure your secure socket in the
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml file, where $CATALINA_HOME represents the
directory into which you installed Tomcat 5. An example <Connector> element
for an SSL connector is included in the default server.xml file installed
with Tomcat. It will look something like this:

     <-- Define a SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->
<!--
<Connector
           enableLookups="true" disableUploadTimeout="true"
           acceptCount="100" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true";
           clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"/>
-->

Anyway I uncommented this snippet from my Tomcat server.xml file and
restarted. But I cannot hit https://localhost:8443 like the read-me states.

I have checked all $TOMCAT_HOME/logs and see nothing. It just hangs when
trying to call it. I can hit http://localhost and all is happy. But the
certificate states it is coming from a certain URL. So I am not sure how
that all works.

I hope this may help someone feed me back some relevant information.

Scott