tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Zarar Siddiqi" <>
Subject OutOfMemoryError when starting cluster in 5.5.12
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:59:23 GMT

I'm trying to run a cluster with two machines (A and B), both Windows XP.  The cluster was
working fine in Tomcat 5.5.9 but I decided to upgrade to 5.5.12 because of some improvements
in memory management.  After the upgrade, the cluster stopped working.

Machine A starts up fine and looks for any active members, doesn't find any as expected and
loads applications.  Machine B starts up with the following output:

INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.12
Nov 1, 2005 11:20:36 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
INFO: XML validation disabled
Nov 1, 2005 11:20:36 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster start
INFO: Cluster is about to start
Nov 1, 2005 11:20:36 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter start
INFO: Start ClusterSender at cluster Catalina:type=Cluster,host=localhost with name Catalina:type=ClusterSender,host=localhost
Nov 1, 2005 11:20:36 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService start
INFO: Sleeping for 2000 secs to establish cluster membership
Exception in thread "Cluster-MembershipReceiver" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Nov 1, 2005 11:20:38 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService registerMBean
INFO: membership mbean registered (Catalina:type=ClusterMembership,host=localhost)
Nov 1, 2005 11:20:38 AM org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer start
INFO: Cluster FarmWarDeployer started.

The problem child being:

Exception in thread "Cluster-MembershipReceiver" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Any ideas what this might be.  Keep in mind that this was working flawlessly in 5.5.9.  I'm
using JDK 1.5.05 and have enabled clustering by commenting out the clustering section in server.xml
without making any changes to the section.