tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kamalmeet Singh" <ka...@uzanto.com>
Subject Tomcat stops responding
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:12:18 GMT
Hi,

I am facing a problem with tomcat 5.5. After working smoothly for sometime(3-4 days), the
server stopped working and resumed only after a Tomcat restart. It stopped connecting to database.
The same behavior was observed twice.

The exception thrown was:

java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]Error establishing socket.

            at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.createException(Unknown Source)

            at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.getException(Unknown Source)

            at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseExceptions.getException(Unknown Source)

            at com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.tds.TDSConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)

            at com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerImplConnection.open(Unknown Source)

            at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseConnection.getNewImplConnection(Unknown Source)

            at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseConnection.open(Unknown Source)

            at com.microsoft.jdbc.base.BaseDriver.connect(Unknown Source)

            at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConnectionFactory.java:37)

            at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:290)

            at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(GenericObjectPool.java:771)

            at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.AbandonedObjectPool.borrowObject(AbandonedObjectPool.java:74)

            at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.java:95)

I am using settings  in my ROOT.xml

<Resource name="jdbc/dbase" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource" username="user"
password="pass" driverClassName="com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver" url="jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://localhost:1433;databaseName=dbase"
 maxActive="5000" maxIdle="10000" maxWait="100" removeAbandoned="true" removeAbandonedTimeout="2"/>

Additional info: In both cases the common thing was, that in SQL server under management/process
info I could see more than 3500 processes connected to the database from tomcat, but in sleeping
mode. (not sure this has anything to do with problem).

also, I am  using Tomcat as Apache module using mod_jk

I cannot make out anything of this, why suddenly server stops connecting to database. Any
ideas about the problem?

Regards

Kamal