tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Cristian S" ...@nightwish.eu.org>
Subject Re: heap size problems (speed) [2]
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:44:19 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wade Chandler" <hwadechandler-apache@yahoo.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:27 PM
Subject: Re: heap size problems (speed) [2]

> I don't know really.  I've not seen issues with
> HashMap in a Linux vs. Windows scenario (might check
> JRE/JDK bug reports).  Since your swap isn't being hit
> all the time I wouldn't say it would be that.  I don't
> know really where to direct you without knowing more,
> because the general issues don't seem to be the cause.
> Does the application perform badly with only a few
> hits to the site?  Does the application get under
> heavy load then stop working?

Unfortunatelly this test application performs badly from the first hit.
Frankly I have no ideea what's the point of loading almost 400M of data
in memory in a HashMap.
Maybe this very approach has a design flaw when it comes to JAVA.

Luckly this is only a test and I'm being asked why it does not work on
Linux and mostly if I can take it out from this "won't budge" state :).

Anyway, I will take a closer look at the problem of JRE/JDK possible
bugs and perhaps at some kernel settings that might cause this.

Or maybe I'm just missing/mistaking something and I do not realize for
the moment.

> Wade

Thanks a lot,
Cristian