tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Boyer" <da...@bvu.edu>
Subject RE: Debugging Tomcat hangs
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:03:07 GMT
I understand synchronization and deadlocks. I'm just looking for some guidance. (1) Based on
the problem I've described, is an analysis of a JVM thread dump a good next step for diagnosing
the hang, or else what would be and (2) are there any resources that would be helpful with
that analysis (e.g. something that I can use as a tutorial for understanding everything the
dump contains).

In the broader sense of looking at this as a JVM hang, I realize that's going to be OT. On
the other hand, there are elements of this for which some insight from other tomcat users-perhaps
some of which might have resolved similar issues-is very relevant.

>>> rgw@lsoft.com 8:56 AM 10/18/200518/2005 >>>

> If I generate a dump of the JVM using Ctrl-Break while
> running Tomcat as a console app, what's the best resource for
> interpreting this? I suspect the problem is a thread
> deadlock, or something similar.

This tells us that you succeed in getting a JVM thread dump and
you are asking for help about how to analyze a JVM thread dump, right?

Doing this is an art. It requires that you understand thread
synchronizationm, the Java monitor concept and many other
nontrivial things.

Where are we supposed to start? (I'm not saying that this list
is not supposed to help you, but if we have to start explaining
Java synchronization and deadlocks, this would very probably
be way off this list and i'm far too lazy/busy to dig this deep...)

Robert