tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Boyer" <da...@bvu.edu>
Subject Debugging Tomcat hangs
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:03:36 GMT
We're running Tomcat 5.0.28 with JDK 1.4.2_8 hosting a single commercial web application on
our web server which uses MySQL 4.0.26 running on another server. Both servers are Windows
2003 Enterprise, 2x3.0GHz XEON, 4GB RAM. Our Tomcat instance is dedicated to the commercial
web app, and the MySQL instance is hosting only that app's database.

The web application is hanging every few days, and neither we nor the vendor can figure out
why. Restarting Tomcat is the only way to fix it. We've tried all of the current stable versions
of both MySQL and Tomcat, as well as JDK 5 (with Tomcat 5.5.x). The problem happens under
each of them.

I'm highly confident the problem is with the commercial web app; we have other web applications
running under other Tomcat instances on the same server going against a variety of MySQL and
MSSQL databases on our database server, and none of them have any problems.

If I generate a dump of the JVM using Ctrl-Break while running Tomcat as a console app, what's
the best resource for interpreting this? I suspect the problem is a thread deadlock, or something
similar.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

David Boyer