tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ritchie Gillam" <gill...@halifax.ca>
Subject Re: My first Aproach
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:36:14 GMT
I would recommend that you look at the newer Technology JSF (Java Server Faces) which sits
on top of JSP.   This is easier to use and will probably be the future.

Ritchie Gillam
Programmer Analyst, Information Services, Halifax Regional Municipality
Email: gillamr@halifax.ca
Phone: (902) 490-6167
Fax: (902) 490-6583

>>> grm7793@verizon.net 10/16/05 12:52 pm >>>
Claudio Veas wrote:

> Hello my name is Claudio Veas Im from Argentina and I have successfully
> installed Tomcat 5.0.28 if Im not mistaken. This is the first time with
> Tomcat so I wanted to ask you people which should be my first step into the
> world of web applications you know ( JSP, EJB) but ima total newbie in all
> this so if you can help me start Ill apreciate it.
>
> Thanks on advance
>
> Claudio Veas
>

> PD:
>
> Im from Argentina and My english is not so good so excuse any mistake in my grammar

Hello Claudio.  Since you are just starting to learn, I would get the
latest Java SDK (5.0) and download Tomcat 5.5.12 instead.  I don't see
any reason to use the older 5.0.28.

I'm starting also--the book I'm currently going through is Beginning
JavaServer Pages[1] to learn about JSP's, so far, through page 108, it's
been pretty helpful for me. I'm glad I got it, although some of the
Amazon reviews for it have not been the best (avg. 3.5/5 stars).

I would forget about EJB until you're fully comfortable with Servlets,
JSP, JavaScript, CSS, etc.  You may never need to work with EJB's anyway
(and Tomcat doesn't support them.)

Glen

PS:  What does "PD" mean?  ;-)

[1]