tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Goo GGooo <>
Subject JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 01:19:50 GMT
Hi all,

I've got Tomcat 5.5.9 running on SUSE Linux 9.2, followed tutorial at and got it up and
running, can see the Tomcat mainpage and run all bundled examples.
However when I try a trivial example with HTML forms Tomcat barfs:

An error occurred at line: 1 in the jsp file: /name.jsp
Generated servlet error:
UserData cannot be resolved or is not a type

Files webapps/tut/name.jsp and
webapps/tut/WEB-INF/classes/ are attached. Of course I've
got compiled into .class at the same directory and
everything is readable for Tomcat.

What can be a reason for this error? Do I need to configure something
to let Tomcat know about this class?

I'm sorry for this newbie question - I'm sure it's something trivial
but I have experience with neither Tomcat nor JSP/servlets and am
basically stuck.

View raw message