tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ken Pawliw" <>
Subject Starting Tomcat with the Security Manager in Windows
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:13:47 GMT

I'm new to Tomcat and have run into a problem that probably has a very
simple solution. I'm running Tomcat 5.5.7 on Windows XP and want to start
Tomcat with the security manager enabled. The documentation states the
Starting Tomcat With A SecurityManager
Once you have configured the catalina.policy file for use with a
SecurityManager, Tomcat can be started with a SecurityManager in place by
using the "-security" option:

     $CATALINA_HOME/bin/ start -security    (Unix)
%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina start -security      (Windows)

This does not work from the Windows Command Prompt as catalina does not
exist in the bin directory. Furthermore, I want to run Tomcat as a service
so this would not help even if it did work. I've tried to add the -security
option via the Monitor Tomcat application by adding the addition argument in
the Arguments section of the Startup panel. I've tried
start -security
start security
start, security
and none of these work. I'd very much appreciate advice in the area as I've
checked the archive and can't seem to find any information.