tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Sösemann <>
Subject Sudden JVM crashes - a Tomcat problem?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:05:05 GMT

we have a really tricky problem while running our web-application:

The JVM crashes from time to time for no apparent reason.
There seems to be no direct relation to any user-action,
method-call or whatever.

We've checked the JVM crash dumps, but were not able to find
something suspicious. The only ideas we've come up, were the
usual suspects: JNI-calls and JDBC-Type2-drivers.

This is our current setup:
- JVM 1.4.2_09 on Linux SuSE 9.3
- mysql-database 4.1.14-max with
- mysql-connector-java-3.0.14-production driver
- postgresql-database 8.0.3 with postgresql-8.0-312.jdbc3 driver

The only JNI-calls that I know of, is through some 3rd party
UUID-library from "org.doomdark.jug". Maybe the forementioned
jdbc-drivers contain JNI-calls, despite being Type4-drivers.

I've also checked a bunch of mailing-lists and it seems there
are some outstanding bugs in hotspot, that may trigger the
crash. Does anybody have more information or a workaround for this?

Who can help? Thanks in advance!

Leiter Softwareentwicklung

Gölz & Schwarz GmbH
Waltherstr. 29, 80337 München, Germany
phone: + 49 - (0)89 / 54 46 70 - 0
fax: +49 - (0)89 / 54 46 70 - 10
Sie suchen den aktiven Dialog mit Ihren Kunden? Sie möchten neue Wege gehen, um
Ihre Zielgruppen online zu motivieren und zu binden? Dann haben wir genau das Richtige
für Sie: Marketing Suite - die Komplett-Lösung für intelligentes Online Marketing!
Informationen zur Marketing Suite erhalten Sie unter

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message