tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Seva Popov" <seva_po...@tvworks.com>
Subject RE: ClassCastException while sharing objects accross applications
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 06:41:11 GMT
The type in Java is a combination of a fully qualified class name and its defining classloader.
So the two objects with the same class name are considered different types in your two web
applications because each web application is loaded by the dedicated webapp classloader.

To solve your problem you can use object serialization or if your objects are the java beans
you can use the java.beans encoding.

"The XMLEncoder class is a complementary alternative to the ObjectOutputStream and can used
to generate a textual representation of a JavaBean in the same way that the ObjectOutputStream
can be used to create binary representation of Serializable objects. "

--Seva

________________________________

From: Surya Mishra [mailto:surya.mishra@gmail.com]
Sent: Mon 10/3/2005 4:12 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: ClassCastException while sharing objects accross applications

Hi,

I am trying to share an object between 2 applications deployed on the same
tomcat server. I have put the object in the ServletContext in my first
application. I access the object using
ServletContext.getContext("firstApp").getAttribute("object");.
The object comes in fine but it won't let me cast it to the actual Object
Type. I get a ClassCastException. I tried printing the name of the class.
That also came fine (same class name).

Thanks in advance.
-Surya