tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject Unexpected 302 response from Tomcat or JK with filter /*
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:27:30 GMT
Hi List,

Not sure whether this is JK or Tomcat. We have a URI worker mapping

/*=ajp13

Our ROOT web application that handles these requests in Tomcat has a filter mapping

<filter-mapping>
  <filter-name>RequestPreparatorFilter</filter-name>
  <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
</filter-mapping>

To capture all requests. At the top of the filter, we log the request.getRequestURI()

For a URL

http://localhost/xyz

we see that the requestURI is just "/" rather than the expected "/xyz". Note that /xyz is
not a servlet and is not a folder in the web application. We use the filter to capture URL
requests that do not exist and then try to do clever things with them.

In the Tomcat logs we discovered that for the /xyz request, a 302 is being sent by Tomcat
with a redirect by the looks of it to "/".

127.0.0.1 - - [24/Oct/2005:17:11:45 +0000] "GET /systems-integrators HTTP/1.1" 302 -
127.0.0.1 - - [24/Oct/2005:17:11:45 +0000] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 302 -

I don't understand this behaviour as I would have though with the filter mapping of /* that
Tomcat would allow the /xyz request into the filter.

Clarification very much appreciated. Allistair.

QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474
its interests and its reputation.