tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject Continuing Frustration and Misery with Deployer
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:35:08 GMT
Hi List,

Honestly, I wish Tomcat web application deployment would be easier/smarter. To pre-empt certain
list members from telling me it's my fault, I can assure you my WAR itself is totally 100%
no doubts valid.

Perhaps it is my method of deploying that is causing the issue, I don't know. I am attempting
to use the Tomcat Client Deployer (the Ant script that comes with deployer).

I use it to compile the WAR and now want to deploy it to a waiting Tomcat. I ensured my Tomcat
webapps folder was wiped and the conf/Catalina/localhost had no context configuration files.

My WAR contains a META-INF/context.xml for deploying the context configuration.

After I compile my WAR with Deployer, I call

C:\apache-tomcat-5.5.12-deployer>ant -Dserver=intratest deploy
Buildfile: build.xml

deploy:
   [deploy] OK - Deployed application at context path /ROOT

So it's deployed OK.

I wait 5 minutes and then put a request into Tomcat. 404. Why? Because it failed to start
the context which in a nutshell is all I ever get when deploying from WARs.

My WAR has been exploded fully which is at least something.

The logs reveal:

2005-10-07 16:18:29,882 -  WARN (org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig:597) - A docBase D:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\ROOT
inside the host appBase has been specified, and will be ignored
2005-10-07 16:18:30,163 - ERROR (org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext:3796) - Error starting
static Resources
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base D:\jakarta-tomcat\webapps\ROOT does not
exist or is not a readable directory
 at org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(FileDirContext.java:140)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.resourcesStart(StandardContext.java:3777)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3948)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:603)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:535)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:470)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1118)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310)
 at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1020)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1012)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:680)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:536)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:275)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)
2005-10-07 16:18:30,163 - ERROR (org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext:3949) - Error in
resourceStart()
2005-10-07 16:18:30,195 - ERROR (org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext:4100) - Error getConfigured
2005-10-07 16:18:30,195 - ERROR (org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext:4153) - Context
[] startup failed due to previous errors
2005-10-07 16:18:30,195 -  INFO (org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext:4250) - Container
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/] has not been started

It is not clear if this exception is thrown at the time when the WAR has not been exploded
and of course ROOT will not exist.

My META-INF/context.xml has
<Context docBase="/ROOT" reloadable="true" antiJARLocking="true" antiResourceLocking="true"
swallowOutput="true">

Does nobody else have issues with using the Deployer? Is it just me having all this bad luck?
Honestly I am at my wits end with this deployment. I am fed up with manually having to deploy
files to our Tomcat servers, exploding them myself and then restarting Tomcat.

When will Deployer actually work?

Kindest, frustrated, Allistair.

QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055