tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From sudip shrestha <>
Subject Re: effects of <context> defining twice
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:10:19 GMT
Just wanted to mention, cpu usage and memory usage just look fine and there
is no output/exception on any of the log files during the lock up period.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: sudip shrestha <>
Date: Oct 13, 2005 9:04 AM
Subject: effects of <context> defining twice
To: Tomcat Users List <>,

Configuration: Tomcat 5.5.7 + JDK 1.5.0_01 + Struts 1.2.7 + Hibernate
2.1.8+ Debian Sarge + Kernel
2.6.9 + Apache 2.0.53

I found that my administrator had forgotten to remove <context> element from
the server.xml file when I had META-INF/context.xml (which in effect creates
the webAppName.xml file in tomcat-install/conf/Catalina/host-name/. I have
one connection pool for Ldap Connection (uses<>netscape
java-ldap-sdk) and another for DBCP for JDBC connections in our
company webapp.

Now, I found this out after outputting some verbose during the
tomcat-startup, and I have removed this yesterday, and it is working ok now.
I am assuming that because of context duplication, there were two instances
of two connection pools as well as two Hibernate Session Factories (I found
that during the startup-Database was being mapped twice)....

We used to have our application locked up after every week, sometimes a half
week.....The pages that didn't have to do anything with ldap/jdbc would just
come fine, but any other page would just lock up and would have to wait

I am not sure if this is due to context-duplication or not.....This is yet
to be seen as I have just removed this redundancy.....But I would like to
know if there are any known dependencies because of this redundancy from the
the developers as well..

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message