tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rob Hills" <...@netpaver.com.au>
Subject RE: Missing application web.xml, using defaults only - is this a Tomcat bug?
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:18:18 GMT
Hi Chuck,

On 20 Oct 2005 at 8:44, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

> > From: Rob Hills [mailto:rob@netpaver.com.au]
> > Subject: Re: Missing application web.xml, using defaults only
> > - is this a Tomcat bug?
> >
> > From the my reading of the Documentation, docBase and Path are
> > mandatory attributes of the Context element for Tomcat 5.0.
>
> Check the 5.5 doc for <Context>:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html
>
> The path attribute is not allowed unless the <Context> element is in
> server.xml, which is strongly discouraged.  (I have a vague memory of
> Remy M saying that 5.5.12 disallows path, whereas previous 5.5 levels
> ignored it.)  So yes, the target Tomcat level does make a difference.
> I believe that there are other configuration changes between 5.0 and
> 5.5 as well, notably in how resources are configured.

Thanks for the info, I had missed that subtlety in the 5.5 docs, but I'd
figured out about the Path element in 5.5 anyway.

My problem is getting 5.0 working on Linux.  I am using a virtually
identical WAR file that only differs in as much as its context.xml has a
Context element with Path="" and docBase="ROOT" values in it.  I keep
getting that pesky "Missing application web.xml" error message that I
suspect is pointing away from the cause of the problem.  I re-iterate that
if I unzip my ROOT.war file in situ (ie into a ROOT directory next to the
ROOT.war file) the site works!

Cheers,

Rob Hills
West Perth