tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Maurice Yarrow <yar...@best.com>
Subject Re: hacking the tomcat DefaultServlet
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 01:21:09 GMT
Tim

I *LIKE* this idea.  Yes!
And it simply does an endrun around my machinations here.

But, actually, I have a question.

For this to work for me, it would have to be the case that
this filter is in front of the tomcat DefaultServlet.  Which
means that <filter> and <filter-mapping> elements need
to go in front of the <servlet> element for the DefaultServlet
in the conf/web.xml.   Is that the case?  Am I
misunderstanding something?

After all, this cannot be in my web app context, because,
as I found, even when I place a (only slightly) hacked
version of DefaultServlet in my context and call it, say,
ImgServlet, though it will cause IE to correctly cache under
http, IE will not cache downloaded images properly under https.
Don't know why.   So what I didn't mention in my first letter
is that I also tried, in own ImgServlet (not a hacked DefaultServlet)
to simply do as you suggested inside of the filter, which is to point
the getRequestDispatcher to the new path, which is in its own context
which has a context.xml -> allowLinking=true, override=true.  This
will see and serve the images correctly.  But, under https, IE will
still will display but not cache them for re-use.  These images
keep getting reloaded under https.  And this is true
even though the servlet has. as I said, a bunch of appropriate
response.setHeader(attribName, attrib) calls for setting the
properties necessary for caching and a
getLastModified(HttpServletResponse resp) override method.

It all works just fine under http, so it is obviously something
peculiar that I just don't understand that is requred but missing,
I assume.

So, my question is: can I request that a filter be applied to all
static page requests that are going to DefaultServlet?  Or is this
done with a Valve?

If a filter, do I need to put <filter> and <filter-mapping> elements
in front of the <servlet> element in tomcat/conf/web.xml ?
Note that there is no mention of such elements in the tomcat
documentation, though it does appear to be required by the J2EE spec.

Maurice