tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>
Subject Re: Character Encoding -ISo-8859-1 Vs UTF-8 Vs GBK
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:25:54 GMT
UTF-8 (8-bit Unicode Transformation Format) is a lossless,
variable-length character encoding for Unicode created by Ken Thompson
and Rob Pike. It uses groups of bytes to represent the Unicode standard
for the alphabets of many of the world's languages. UTF-8 is especially
useful for transmission over 8-bit Electronic Mail systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

In computing, Unicode provides an international standard which has the
goal of providing the means to encode the text of every document people
want to store on computers. This includes all scripts in active use
today, many scripts known only by scholars, and symbols which do not
strictly represent scripts, like mathematical, linguistic and APL symbols.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode

afonseca@portugalmail.com a écrit :

>Hi,
>
>In Europe we have lots of languages. I don't think it's true that UTF-8 can handle ALL
european character very well.There is a list in the net (I don't know here) with the other
ISO encoding for other languages.