tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Odd problem with Restart Persistence related to DBCP datasource
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:13:23 GMT
Has anyone else had problems starting applications that use a DBCP
connection pool datasource related to Tomcat's default restart
persistence behavior?  I set up a global JNDI datasource in Tomcat
5.5.12 to be used by the iBATIS JPetStore demo application.  I found
that every second time I started Tomcat the application did not startup
properly.  The two pertinent error snippets were (full stack trace at
the end for anyone interested):

   Oct 13, 2005 10:12:40 AM org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager
   start
   SEVERE: Exception loading sessions from persistent storage
   java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
       at

com.ibatis.jpetstore.service.CatalogService.<init>(CatalogService.java:23)
   -- SNIP --
   --- Cause: com.ibatis.sqlmap.client.SqlMapException: There was an
   error configuring JndiDataSourceDaoTransactionPool.
   Cause: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name java:comp is not
   bound in this Context

I disabled restart persistence by specifying an empty pathname
     <Manager pathname=""/>

and the application now works fine.

Is this a configuration problem on my part or is there a problem that
Tomcat does not store JNDI context references and so restart persistence
will not function properly when JNDI datasources are used?

Thanks for any and all thoughts and information.