tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "t.n.a." <...@sharanet.org>
Subject Re: OutOfMemory Exception
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:36:18 GMT
Enrique Rodriguez wrote:

>This is what Peter said to me. I set permgen to 256 MB and i still not
>have any OutOfMemory exception.
>
>Regards, Enrique.

I've added
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -server -XX:MaxPermSize=256m"
to my catalina.sh on the devel. server, hope I can get the root on the
production server to do the same, but I fear this is only a temporary
solution: it will just take a bigger number of reloads before I run out
of permgen.
I ran into a post on the hibernate forums mentioning that an app will
reload fine without the hibernate libs, but when reloaded with the libs
it takes an additional 4 MB of memory (permgen?).
Anyway, my webapps are based on the tapestry/cayenne stack. Should I
look for the problem there? I don't handle the db connections myself:
cayenne and tomcat take care of that for me so I don't know if there are
resources I should free and how I would go about it before reload.
Why is the permgen memory never reclaimed in the first place?
Sorry if the questions sound funny: I'm not even a beginner when it
comes to memory profiling java apps...
Basically, is there a better way to stop permgen from running out, other
than delaying it by increasing it's size?

Regards,
Tomislav