tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: Systems Architecture Pros and Cons
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:07:48 GMT
Peter Johnson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was discussing with someone two common system architectures for a
> web application environment and thought I'd extend it to the Tomcat
> community to see their views / thoughts.
>
> If we consider that there are 5 servers available, what is the best
> way to utilise them assuming that both Apache and Tomcat are used -
>
> Option 1: all 5 servers run both Apache and Tomcat and requests are
> load-balanced across them.
>   Pro: - avoids the ~50ms delay of sending over network
>        - resource allocation is more dynamic

True and you should utilize mod_jk's UNIX socket, since it is supposed
to be even faster.

> Option 2: 2 servers running Apache passing through to 3 running Tomcat.
>   Pro: - enhanced security due to tiers

Only if you're expecting the Apache to be hacked, but then it is a
disaster scenario all the way.

> So what are peoples' thoughts and views on this?

The main problem with both configs is session replication. If you can
get it right, you're OK. I know that N Tomcats can be clustered and can
have a shared session. How will it work with M Apaches in front of them?
I don't see any obvious trouble, but you should test it.

Nix.