tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Johnson <pe...@wizardslair.net>
Subject Systems Architecture Pros and Cons
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 05:59:23 GMT
Hi All,

I was discussing with someone two common system architectures for a web
application environment and thought I'd extend it to the Tomcat
community to see their views / thoughts.

If we consider that there are 5 servers available, what is the best way
to utilise them assuming that both Apache and Tomcat are used -

Option 1: all 5 servers run both Apache and Tomcat and requests are
load-balanced across them.
   Pro: - avoids the ~50ms delay of sending over network
        - resource allocation is more dynamic

Option 2: 2 servers running Apache passing through to 3 running Tomcat.
   Pro: - enhanced security due to tiers

So what are peoples' thoughts and views on this?

PJ